As much as I love them, they are a rarity in my kitchen BUT not anymore! After baking them AND turning them into an amazing vegan pudding, they're becoming a kitchen staple, starting...yesterday.
Time: 50 minutes (10 minutes hands on)
3 large ripe plantains
1/2 cup refrigerated coconut milk
2-3 Medjool Dates, pitted, softened in warm water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut the ends off the plantains, leave the peel on and make 3 slits on top. Wrap plantains in wax paper and twist the ends.
3. Bake in a baking dish for approximately 40 minutes or until the peel splits open on it's own and the plantain is tender and easy to slice.
4. You can stop here and simply enjoy with cinnamon, a drizzle of maple syrup, some nuts or all by itself OR make the pudding.
5. Add the plantains to your Vitamix or food processor with a 1/2 cup of refrigerated coconut milk (not the canned type, but the one in the carton in the dairy aisle), 2-3 pitted Medjool dates (depending on how sweet you want your pudding) and a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. *I actually used Medjool Date paste because I always have it made in my fridge, but if you soak 2-3 dates in hot water for 5 minutes, they should soften enough to blend nicely with the plantains and coconut milk*
6. Divide evenly into 4 bowls and enjoy!
KISS Tip: You may need a little more coconut milk, but I'd start with a 1/2 cup to make sure your pudding doesn't get too runny!