Banoffee Pie- heard of it? It's like the richest, sweetest, most decadent pie ever- filled with sweetened condensed milk that's been heated into a toffee, fresh bananas, whipped cream...wipe the drool off yo' mouth.
"Contest. Competition. I wanna play. Okay, I wanna win. Cookies. Toffee-tastic. Banoffee. Caramel... surely I can sub something for sweetened condensed milk.... DATES. OMG. MEDJOOL DATES!! They taste just like caramel!" And.... the rest is history.
2 ripe bananas
2 sleeves Toffee-Tastic Girl Scout Cookies or 2 cups gluten-free cookies crumbs
½ stick butter
1 ½ cups Pitted Medjool Dates
3 Tbsp smooth, no stir, almond butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp lemon juice, fresh
¼ tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using a food processor, process cookies until finely ground. If you don’t have a food processor, place cookies in zip-loc bag and break up cookies with a rolling pin. The food processor works much better J. Reserve ½ cup cookie crumbs.
- Melt ½ stick butter in the microwave for 20 seconds or until completely melted.
- Place crumbs in medium size bowl, add in butter and mix well with fork. Mixture should be damp, but stuck together.
- Press into 9 inch pie pan and bake for 12 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and let cool completely on trivet or wire rack.
For the filling:
- Add pitted dates (if purchasing dates with pit, simply tear date open with hands and remove pit) to a medium size bowl. Cover dates with very hot water and let soak 5-10 minutes.
- Drain water and add moist dates to food processor with almond butter, vanilla, lemon juice and salt.
- Blend until smooth.
For the whipped cream:
- Place whisk and metal bowl in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar to bowl and heavy whipping cream.
- Whisk with hand mixer for about 2 minutes on medium/high until stiff peaks form.
- Once pie is completely cooled, carefully spread caramel filling on top of pie crust.
- Add banana slices (about 1 banana) on top of caramel filling, pressing bananas slightly into filling. Sprinkle ¼ Toffee-tastic crumbs on top of bananas.
- Spread whipped cream on the banana layer.
- Add final layer of sliced bananas on whipped cream and finish with ¼ cup of Toffee-tastic crumbs.
- Enjoy immediately and keep leftovers (if there are any) in the fridge!