It’s National Salad Month AND National Beef Month. Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Ohhh yes. And I gotta tell ya- as the weather gets warmer, there’s just nothing better than a refreshing, cool, crisp salad with grilled beef to top it off. And it’s officially grilling season- so fire up those grills (indoor OR outdoor) and enjoy this salad that fills you up and is packed with flavor and nutrition!
If you’re stumbling on this blog for the first time, I should let you know I’m a huge beef fan. In year’s past, beef got such a bad rap, but it was wrongfully accused (of so many things which I need not recap in this post). BUT here’s the skinny- beef is actually a fantastic protein source. Lean beef is packed full of zinc, iron, and protein. In fact, did you know that for only about 150 calories per serving of lean beef, you get 10 essential nutrients your body needs? Oh yeah, and it tastes great!
Look at all that color- when you see color, think nutrition (Lucky Charms and Skittles don’t count!).
KISS Tip #1: Switch up your greens- try kale, baby spinach, arugula or field greens!
KISS Tip #2: Don’t overthink a rub- grab your favorite mix (that’s a no-salt herb and garlic blend above) or just simple salt and pepper!
Garlic Herb Steak Salad
- 1 beef Top Sirloin Steak Boneless, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1 Tbsp garlic & herb or onion & herb no-salt seasoning
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp honey mustard
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp garlic & herb or onion & herb no-salt seasoning
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Combine dressing ingredients in small bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup dressing for salad. Brush remaining dressing on onion slices.
- Press 1 tablespoon seasoning blend evenly onto beef steak. Place steak in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange onion slices around steak. Grill steak, covered, 7 to 11 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 8 to 13 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. OR
- (If it’s too hot outside) Prepare on stovetop by heating either a large nonstick skillet or grill-pan over medium heat until hot. Place steak in skillet/grill-pan; cook 7 to 10 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Grill onion 10 to 12 minutes (gas grill times remain the same) or until tender, turning occasionally (can sauté onion on skillet/grill-pan if cooking indoors).
- Carve beef into slices (always slice against the grain!). Divide spinach evenly among four plates. Top with steak slices, tomatoes, onions and eggs. Drizzle evenly with reserved 1/4 cup dressing.