1.) Add some fruits or veggies (carrots, apples, zucchini, etc.)- they add moisture!
2.) Choose less refined ingredients to include flours and sweeteners. Choosing whole wheat flour or organic dark brown sugar or coconut palm sugar instead of traditional refined sugar, is ideal. Wholesome! has a whole line of organic, Fair Trade Certified sweeteners, to include Coconut Palm Sugar (used in these yummy cupcakes), Dark and Light brown sugar and many more!
3.) Add healthier fats like avocados, nut butters or add in some applesauce or Greek yogurt for some of the oil.
Makes: 18 cupcakes
Time: 35 minutes (15 minutes hands on, approximately 20 minutes cook time)
1 1/2 cup gluten-free 1:1 Baking Flour (I like Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup Wholesome! Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 eggs, beaten
Wholesome! Organic Vanilla Frosting
pecan cookie pieces, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, coconut palm sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the grated carrots, oil and applesauce and beaten eggs.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture to the carrot mixture, stirring just until mixed.
- Line muffin tin or grease muffin tin. Scoop about 3 tablespoons of batter into each hole (about 2/3 full).
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and tops are springy.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely prior to frosting with Wholesome Organic Vanilla Frosting. Sprinkle pecan cookie pieces on top, if desired.