This past week I chopped a TON of fruit. More specifically, I turned a bunch of watermelon slices and strawberries into heart shapes. As much as I love fruit, I can only eat so much before that fruit has to morph into something else…..like a smoothie or better yet, a margarita.
THAT color. I just can’t get over it. Watermelon + strawberries + pomegranate juice = the most gorgeous drink in the world. Fortunately this drink has even more to offer than just the color- it’s delicious. Dangerously delicious.
This particular shoot was extra fun- partially because of the exciting and gorgeous colors. Partially because.. well, margaritas. I decided to shoot this one outside since I’d lost daylight in the areas I normally shoot inside the house and the neighbors were quite intrigued. One lady walking her dog said actually said “Stop taking pictures and drink those already!” ;).
By using a combination of sweet, ripe fruit and frozen pomegranate juice cubes; there’s no need for added sugar (like many margarita recipes call for!).
KISS Tip: Did you know that one 16oz bottle of 100% pomegranate juice perfectly fills a standard ice cube tray (16 cubes)?
KISS Tip: Adjust the amount of strawberries and watermelon to your liking or try a different berry instead of strawberries! I’m thinking blueberries with lemon juice could be a real winner.
This margarita recipe relies on the juice of fresh mandarin oranges instead of an orange-based liqueur. Not only is this easier and fresher, but it let’s the tequila blanco be the star.
- Vitamix or high-speed blender
- 3 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 8 oz. tequila blanco (Herradura is my fav, but any quality white tequila will work well)
- 16 oz. 100% pomegranate juice, frozen in ice cubes (see above KISS Tip)
- Juice from 2 small mandarin oranges (clementine) or about 1/3 cup fresh juice
- Juice from 2 limes or about 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Lime slices for garnish
- Place all ingredients into blender or Vitamix and blend until smooth.
- Pour into sugar-rimmed glasses, garnish with lime wedge and enjoy!