By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Alright y’all- grab your party hats and let’s celebrate- because today, May 13th, is National Hummus Day!! In all honesty, I feel like I celebrate hummus day almost every day, but it’s pretty darn cool that there is a legit national Hummus Day. So I decided to go big or go home today with this Mediterranean twist on a 7 Layer Dip! I feel like almost every baby shower, backyard BBQ and Super Bowl party always has a 7 Layer Dip present, but they can be pretty rich and not too good for you depending on the layers. Lucky for you (and me), this dip is packed with flavor AND nutrition!
One of the many reasons I love Sabra hummus is because it’s a plant based protein. Protein helps us stay full, so when I’m making snacks or appetizers, I tend to create the recipe all around the protein source. In this case, the base of this delicious dip is an entire package of Sabra hummus.
KISS Tip: Use your favorite Sabra flavor to customize this dip! I used Roasted Garlic, but there’s plenty other flavors to choose from like Roasted Rep Pepper, Supremely Spicy and Pine Nut, to name a few.
By now y’all know I’ve been on quite the lemon kick here lately, so I chose to give this dip some fresh citrus flavor by giving a generous squeeze of lemon between every other layer. The natural lemony-ness (I’m making up words again) was seriously the perfectly complement to these other fresh flavors!
And if you want to keep folks from double dipping or just like cute small things, you can also easily transform this dip into individual shooters! I found these to be incredibly enjoyable without any chips- I took a spoon straight to these 7 Layer dip shooters and wouldn’t have it any other way.
7 Layer Mediterranean Dip
- 1 10 oz. package Sabra Roasted Garlic hummus
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped seedless cucumber
- 3/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 3/4 cup seeded/diced yellow or orange tomatoes (preferably the sweet variety)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, preferably toasted
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 lemon, cut in half (I LOVE lemon and I gave a little squeeze of lemon juice between every other layer. If you’re not as much of a lemon fan, I’d just give a generous squeeze to the top of the dish when you’re done creating all the layers!
- If choosing to toast your walnuts, place chopped walnuts on a foil-lined baking sheet in a 350° oven for about 5 minutes, tossing about 2-3 minutes into cook time to make sure they don’t burn. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While walnuts are toasting, spread the entire package of Sabra Roasted Garlic hummus on bottom of 8X8 glass dish.
- Create the additional layers (see photo below!) by evenly spreading the chopped cucumbers on top of the hummus, followed by the pomegranate arils, sweet diced tomatoes, feta cheese, toasted walnuts and fresh cilantro. Give a few generous squeezes of lemon on top of dip!
- If creating shooters, place approximately 2 Tbsp of hummus at the base of each shooter and evenly divide remaining ingredients for additional layers.
- Serve dip with gluten-free crackers or your chip of choice and enjoy!
Pin for later: