Time: 25 minutes
1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 extra large sweet yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth, divided
1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a soup or stock pot over medium-high heat, heat oil and add chopped onions. Saute onions for 10-15 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add garlic cloves and Italian seasoning and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, stir and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add chickpeas and coconut milk. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. If you don’t have a blender, transfer soup to a Vitamix or blender in batches.
- Once soup is completely smooth, stir in pumpkin puree. Set to a medium-high heat and bring soup to a simmer. Add final 1/2 cup or more broth if thinner consistency is desired.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh or dried parsley, cracked black pepper and a drizzle of coconut milk.